Before witnessing cockfight myself I always thought it’s kind of violent to see them fighting to death, provoked by men. I always preferred to get chicken from supermarket or order it at the restaurant. Cause those chickens never got killed, those chickens grow already dead on the trees just like bananas. But my first attendance to cockfight has changed it all. I was shouting, shaking my hands, sweating and betting money just like everybody else. I got addicted with a first sight and tried not to miss even one cockfight during my stay on Siargao Island.
1. Before rooster goes out to the cockpit, extremely sharp blade gets attached to his foot.
2. Cockpit in General Luna looks pretty much the same as any other fighting venue and it offers cheapest beer on the island.
3. Before the battle starts, fighters get warmed up by other rooster who is not participating in this fight. His job for now is just pecking fighter’s neck and ass while owner is holding his cock back.
4. Some owners cheer up their fighters, some caress them before the fight begins.
5. Others just stay calm and do nothing.
6. Before roosters will decide who will live and who will die, owner takes the cover off the blade.
7. The blade is very sharp, so you have to be really careful releasing it.
8. People are making their bets. “Desse” they shout or something like that.
9. And the action begins!
10. Everything happens really fast.
11. Only going through my pictures I could finally see what really happened during the fight.
12. Crowd is getting excited.
13. In your face.
14. Blade is getting closer to the neck.
15. There can be only one.
16. The winner is getting firs aid at the backstage. The only way to stop fighting is to die. If rooster won it doesn’t mean he will get his retirement. It only means that he will fight again as soon as he will get fit.
Those roosters who got defeated are getting cut at the backstage for a dinner. Cockfight is considered as a national sport in Philippines and it happens every weekend in most parts of the country. Even though it might look violent, it doesn’t feel this way when you are at the cockpit. You feel extremely excited and you crave for more action.